Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Lego Friends Cake

I was asked by a friend to make a Friends Lego cake for her soon to be six year old daughter. There are a lot of great lego cake designs out there and I was looking for a girl themed cake for inspiration. I ended up creating a lego cake that looked as if it was being unwrapped to reveal legos underneath.

First step in the process was learning how to make fondant legos. I found a great tutorial at Chef Mommy. Here is a pict of the work in progress. This was probably the most tedious part of making this cake, but the more tedious the better!
 This was also my first time covering a cake in fondant. I have always preferred the taste of buttercream frosting, but realized that I couldn't get the look I was going for without covering in fondant. I used a marshamallow fondant recipe found at Moms and Munchkins. I found this fondant was so easy to make and a lot cheaper than buying pre-made fondant from the store. After the fondant was made and the legos completed I started to assemble.

This cake was made using a 9in round wilton pan. I stacked three layers and filled with cream cheese buttercream frosting. I loved the way it turned out!





No comments:

Post a Comment